Friday, March 6, 2009

+32 over 42 hands.  19/14/4.  Haven't been wanting to play much lately.  
Watching WSOPE - very nice broadcast.  Also watching dueces cracked videos.

Here's the hand that bothered me.

Seat 3: shaneor ($11.70 in chips) 
Seat 8: Xylinx ($12.80 in chips) 
tugjd: posts small blind $0.05
shaneor: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Xylinx [7d Qh]
SuprFloydATL: folds 
bigplay6666: folds 
kikaz1976: folds 
glaugh: folds 
Xylinx: raises $0.30 to $0.40
fagarbal: folds 
tugjd: folds 
shaneor: calls $0.30
*** FLOP *** [Tc Kd Ks]
shaneor: checks 
Xylinx: bets $0.60
shaneor: raises $0.60 to $1.20
Xylinx: folds 
Uncalled bet ($0.60) returned to shaneor
shaneor collected $1.95 from pot
shaneor is sitting out
shaneor: doesn't show hand 
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $2.05 | Rake $0.10 

I think this is a terrible play on his part.  And the last thing I should have done is fold.  I knew it at the time, but I just didn't have enough experience with him to be sure he knew what he was doing.  If I thought he had some poker experience, I would have played this hand and won it.

Here's the problem with his play.  First off, notice I am playing pretty tight.  I am the tightest active player at the table.   His stats were a fishy 32/5/2 but only over 21 hands.  So what is my range, raising from the cutoff?   Well, it will be hands that are all over this board, like AK, KQ, AQ and lots of pairs which will also like this board.

What is his range when check-raising this flop?  There's the problem, there is no reasonable hand he does this for value with.  Especially a min-raise.  Made hands will want to protect against the very likely chance I have a draw.  If he has a King, why would he check-raise?  A ten or a smaller pocket pair wouldn't check-raise either.  Both his monsters and his made hands are going to check-call.  Please tell me what hand he could have, I can see nothing.  Of course, a terrified king makes sense for a new player, but otherwise, his line makes no sense.

His play will tend to fold only my bluffs, hands he probabily beats already.  Even a bluff is better off check-calling the flop.  Had he called, I would have given up at the first possible occasion.  Of course, I did happen to have one of my occassional stone bluffs, so I did fold.  But I shouldn't have, and usually wouldn't.  I would usually put him on a bluff, and take it away from him.

Look how scary it is if I call his check-raise.  All I have to do is bet or raise one more time, and he is very likely folding without pretty close to the nuts.  No need for me to make some wild 3-bet here.  A call shows much more strength.

The merit to my play is that I want weak players to think they can bluff me at will.  I want them to think I cannot read hands, so the next time they back themselves into a corner, they will try to bet their way out, and I can win a big pot.  Of course, this guy high-tailed it right after this hand, didn't even play out his free hands for the orbit.  Oh, well.  He verified my read, I think.










No comments:

Post a Comment